The Channel Islands PC Users Group began in 1986 as a small band of computer users who wanted to learn more about this new device that had entered their lives and the best way to make it serve their needs. They told their friends about this group and they in turn told others about a computer club that was there to help other users, and where everyone received a warm and friendly greeting.
Our club has benefited greatly from the many services that we provide to each other. One such valuable service has been the time and effort generously donated by our past Presidents; Walt Yates, Lois Evans de Violini, Terry Lee, Jerry McLoud, Robert Provart, Toby Scott, George Lakes, Andy Toth, David Harris Paul Westefer, Richard Curry, and our currentl leader Dr. James Brown. These people have all donated tons of hours helping to move our club along to keep up with this rapidly changing industry.
Also, the people donating time and effort to Tech Support for the club which includes all of the above plus Frank Segesman who helped us move from the Bulletin Board world into the World Wide Web, conducting many SIGs in both fields.
As a result, CIPCUG has grown to the point where it is now one of the largest computer clubs in Ventura County, with over 250 members. Many of our members are new and intermediate computer users whose knowledge and usage of computers is growing with their membership in CIPCUG.
We meet the fourth Saturday Morning of the month, from 9:30 AM to Noon, at the Camarillo Boys and Girls Club. There are occassional times when the fourth Saturday is not available and the Index page for CIPCUG has six months dates posted for your quick reference. The address is 1500 Temple Ave. in Camarillo. (Southeast corner of Ponderosa Dr. and Temple Ave.) Visitors are always welcome to attend the meetings at no charge.
The actual monthly meetings start at 9:30 AM with a 30 - 45 minute question and answer help session, where anyone is able to ask about their computer software or hardware problems. With the wide range of backgrounds available, helpful answers are the usual result.
For those who want to attend the pre-meeting SIGs, we have an Internet Class with Toby Scott and a Computing 101 (Beginners) Class with various club members moderating. These start at about 8:45 AM.
The vendors usually provide one or more items for the doorprize drawings, or special pricing on some of their products for user group members.
- Members receive The Outer Edge, the monthly 20 page newsletter that includes reviews of software and hardware, news of the computer world, synopsis of Q/A of the preceding month, and other useful information.
- Our monthly meeting includes a 45 minute general Q & A which is written up in our Toe Newsletter. This is a particularly informative session and provides live demos where possible and is an invaluable source of information.
- No cost training sessions in various programs are also available to CIPCUG members. These include: Windows XP and VISTA and various word processors and communications programs.
- Internet access is available to CIPCUG members at the rate of $15 per month plus a $15 setup fee. See our Tech Support page for further information.
- CIPCUG distributes 4GB Flash Drive periodically with a multitude of Freeware Programs that club members have tested plus XP SP3 and Vista SP1. These are available with approximately 2GB free space at $20 to the club members.
- The Flash drive also comes with Portable Aps which makes the Flash Drive take the place of your computer when you are traveling. Just plug it into any MS computer and work away with your own files and aps. A real life saver for people doing Genealogy and traveling to the Mecca of the Genealogy World - Salt Lake City.
- CIPCUG provides an early-bird SIG (class) "Computing 101" on XP and/or Vista at the monthly meeting date starting at 8:45AM.
- CIPCUG also has an early-bird SIG (class) at the monthly meeting date on the Internet and E-Mail starting at 8:45AM. It is a Q & A with demos where possible.
Membership fees can be paid at the regualr monthly meeting of CIPCUG or you can mail your check to Membership - C/O CIPCUG - P.O. Box 51354 - Oxnard, CA 93031. The dues were increased on July 1, 2006, the first increase the club has had in over 10 years.
|Subscription to Newsletter Only||$15.00|
|Full - New - Individual Membership||$40.00|
|Renewal Individual Membership||$30.00|
|Full - New - Family with same address||$55.00|
|Renewal family with same address||$35.00|
Please come as a guest and see what we are all about.